Wednesday, September 27, 2006

How I drew the ire of a Canadian mayor

I have spent the last few weeks in Winnipeg, Manitoba (middle of Canada, just above North Dakota). My girlfriend lives here and I also will be performing this weekend. Through my girlfriend I met mayoral candidate Kaj Hasselriis. Hasselriis has been an activist for many years, bringing attention to issue like transportation and immigrant rights. Kaj is a young candidate with some really exciting plans for the city of Winnipeg. The incumbent in the October 25th election is Sam Katz, who came to power largely on the back of his business contacts (that's nothing new, eh?). Wanting to somehow help Kaj and his campaign I offered to write a theme song. Kaj accepted my offer, we recorded the song and he even invited me to play the song at a press conference. The song does include some digs at Mayor Katz, such as the line, "You can't be a leader by dragging your feet, you can't be a mayor by buying your seat." The song was fun, it got the point across, I thought that might be the end of it. However, on Sunday morning I opened up the Winnipeg Sun and found that they had run a large picture of Kaj and me at the press conference, a copy of the lyrics and an aritcle in which Katz comments on the lyrics of the song. Needless to say, Katz wasn't a big fan of the song. He made some comments about how a kindergartner could have written a better song and how the lyricist shouldn't quit his day job. To hear the song, go to kaj.ca. What makes the whole thing so funny is that if Katz hadn't commented, there probably wouldn't be a story. It certainly wouldn't have been featured on page 2. Rather than dismiss it Katz gave the song, (and Kaj's campaign) more crediblity simply by acknowledging it. As the incumbent, Katz has been doing his best to ignore Kaj's campaign and I am glad that he was irritated or upset enough or caught off-guard enough that he had to comment on the song and in doing so bumped the story up to page 2. The next day the Sun ran an article in which they said "the mayor seems a bit cocky" and mentioned that "Three weeks into the race toward the Oct. 25 vote, the incumbent has been all but invisible on the pledge and platform front..." Speaking of day jobs, Katz might need a new one on October 26th. Go Kaj!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home