Wednesday, February 14, 2007

"The Unnecessary use of Quotation Marks"

I am tiring of seeing quotation marks used incorrectly. Though I am no master of grammar and punctuation, I do think I have a decent sense of when to use quotation marks. Yesterday while I was riding the bus I saw a man wearing a jacket with his name stitched over the breast pocket. The name was in quotation marks. It read, "Brian." This made it appear as if Brian was not his real name, but perhaps just an alias or a name he liked to go by sometimes. Seeing a name in quotation marks reminds of a newspaper or magazine article in which a journalist is protecting some one's identity - "I met a friend of the suspect. I'll call him 'Brian.'" I now find myself "mistrusting" anyone who "overuses" quotation "marks." -Posted by "Ryan"

2 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

Do you ever "read" anybody else's blogs?

2:54 PM  
Blogger JUSIPER said...

Do they use them at Dramatics NYC?

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home