Friday, April 28, 2006

"The Pentecostal Promise" - New York Times Magazine

There was a great article in the New York Times Magazine last Sunday called "The Pentecostal Promise." The article described the origins of the Pentecostal movement this century, which it says started by most accounts on April 9, 1906 on Asuza street in Los Angeles. The article manages to steer clear of pointing out the inconsistencies in the Pentecostal experience, something I wish they had done. However, I think the author Benjamin Anastas deserves credit for approaching his subject with respect. I have sent in a letter to the editor describing my reaction to the article as a former Pentecostal. Since the chances of the letter getting printed are slim to none considering the number of submissions they receive, I have included the letter below. Dear New York Times Magazine: As a former Pentecostal, I appreciated how Benjamin Anastas' article on Pentecostalism (Pentecostal Promise, April 23) captured both how the movement started and how it has changed. Growing up in an Assembly of God church, I always felt a disconnect between the radical roots of Pentecostalism and the conservative leanings of my particular denomination. Interestingly, the "Pro-Life Nation"article (April 9) also brought up memories of my Pentecostal youth; as a 16 year old I went on a missions trip to El Salvador, helping to spread the Pentecostal brand of the gospel. Since the Assemblies of God combines gospel with conservative views (such as an anti-abortion stance), I now fear that in trying to spread Pentecostalism, in some small way I helped foster this "Pro-Life Nation." Respectfully, Ryan Paulson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home