Saturday, May 13, 2006

Stop Promiscuity: Marry Your Daughter

Warning: This entry contains Sarcasm The May 7, 2006 issue of the New York Times Magazine has an article entitled "Contra-Contraception," by Russell Shorto. The article is about fundamentalist organizations who are against birth control. That's right, the Catholic church no longer has a monopoly on this idiotic view. The evangelical wing of the Religious Right is moving in the same direction. Here is an eerie excerpt from the story: "Leslee Unruh, a 51-year-old former motivational speaker who says that her life was transformed in 1984 by the psychological devastation wrought by having an abortion, is the doyenne of the abstinence movement...In addition to providing an information center for the abstinence industry that has blossomed in recent years, she takes her message directly to the kids...she sponsors "Purity Balls," which fathers attend with their teenage daughters." Ewww. The author continues, "'We think the relationship between fathers and their daughters is the key,' she told me. At the purity ball, a father gives a "purity ring" to his daughter - a symbol of the promise she makes to maintain her virginity for her future husband. Then, during her marriage ceremony, the daughter gives the ring to her new husband." Ewww. "Abstinence Clearinghouse's Web site advertises the purity ball as an event 'which celebrates your "little girl," and her gift of sexual purity." Creepy. This actually reminds me of Jessica Simpson, whose father declared on "Newlyweds" that he had given a "promise ring" to Jessica when she was a teenager. She in return promised to wait until marriage to have sex. He also mentioned something about being the only man in her life until she found a husband. Clearly, marrying her father at a young age helped Jessica Simpson become the role model of purity and chaste integrity that she is today.

4 Comments:

Blogger JUSIPER said...

All the stories about Jessica Simpson and her dad seem very, very creepy to me.

Have you seen pictures of those purity balls? They are deeply disturbing.

5:48 PM  
Blogger JUSIPER said...

I wonder whether American evangelicals ever consider that overpopulation might have a connection to terrorism. Probably not.

5:50 PM  
Blogger ryanlukepaulson@gmail.com said...

Oh, man. The line that really gets me is the "celebrate your 'little girls' gift of sexual purity.'"

Could it get any creepier?

12:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I just found your website and watched some of the clips from your show. I can identify with you in so many ways. . Ok so sorry for butting in but as a girl raised in southeastern wisconsin (in a strict independent baptist home) I just have to say that in our youth group we signed a purity contract and recently when I got married my mom handed it to me in a plaque and asked me if I wanted her to wrap it up so I could give it to my new husband on our wedding night...

I had a hard time not laughing, since I'd been living in sin with my boyfriend for the last 6 months in Seattle....(Of course she doesn't know that little tidb it)......

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home